Thursday, February 2, 2012

Farewell to Ryno.

Today I attended Ryan's funeral. It was a beautiful service. I have also never laughed so much at a funeral. His father was stalwart as he spoke of his fun, crazy and sometimes reckless son. He reminded us of how everyone teased Ryan as a child for looking so much like Ralphie from "The Christmas Story". I laughed at hearing how Ryan would hide fireworks in hot dogs for unsuspecting roasters to discover. I about died when his father went on about how he had to try "harder and harder and harder" to conceive Ryan. Then once he was conceived he got to take a break. Who talks about that at a funeral? Why Darryl Wendel, of course.
Even more hilarious was when his dad talked about how much Ryan loved girls and would bring them on boating trips. He smiled and said HE loved when Ryan brought these girls along too! Watching his dad speak, I could picture what Ryan would have looked like down the road had he had the opportunity.
I had a moment with his mother at the viewing which was very sweet. She grasped my hands tightly, we reminisced about all of us as kids. She said she loved seeing all of us grown up with our own kids and she then she told me how much she loved my mom. In that sad moment we knew we felt each other's loss. I am still amazed at the grace and strength Ryan's mom upheld through the service. I can't even imagine the pain and anguish one feels at the loss of a child. Ryan leaves behind two beautiful girls, ages 7 and 9. The older daughter spoke of some of her favorite memories of her dad. I pray for comfort for them. There was so much love and support in that room for those girls I feel Ryan has left them in good hands.
It was a day full of reunions. I saw some friends I haven't seen for almost 20 years. I don't think much of my childhood anymore so it was fun to relive the happy times with the people with whom I caused so much mischief and shared so much laughter. I wish more than anything we had gotten reacquainted under different circumstances but Ryan's death has prompted us to all get together and keep in contact better.
You were one hilarious guy Ryan. You always knew how to seek out adventure, live life to the fullest and show the people you care about how much you loved them. May the sand dunes in heaven be ready for you. At least now, you won't have to worry about breaking bones. See you again one day old buddy!


Ryan Darrell Wendel 

  |   Visit Guest Book

1978 ~ 2012
Our beloved Father, Son, Brother and Friend passed away unexpectedly Sat Jan 28, 2012
Son of Darrell and Chris Wendel, Brother to Michelle Siegismund (Otto) and Wendy Romero (Brian). Ryan married Angie Holmes and had two beautiful girls, Allie (9) and Lexi (7). Later divorced. Ryan was adored by nieces and nephews and his special sweetheart Chelsee. Loved by all his many Friends who were always there for each other which we are so grateful for. 
Ryan worked as an electrician with his father (Wendel Electric). He loved to golf, boat, ride his Motorcycle and go four wheeling at the sand dunes. Most of all he loved being with his two sweet girls! 
We all loved our Ryan (Ryno) so very much and will miss him everyday until we meet again.
Funeral services will be held 11:00 a.m., Thursday, February 2, 2012 at the LDS Chapel at 400 North 700 West, Saratoga Springs, Utah with a viewing at the church Wednesday from 6 to 8 p.m. and Thursday prior to services from 9:45 to 10:45 a.m.

2 comments:

Mike Bollinger said...

It was a great funeral!

Lamb Fam said...

That was so sweet, Leesa. I didn't really know him but I have tears in my eyes after reading this. So beautiful.